After successfully completing the “MSc Clinical Ophthalmology” at the prestigious Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London (UCL), Dr Albert Lula has been certified as a fellow of the International Council of Ophthalmology (FICO), which is regarded as one of the most reputable institutions in the field.
Additionally, in April 2019, Dr. Lula was appointed as Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh MRCSEd(Ophth), the oldest scientific college in the field of ophthalmic surgery.
Supervised by one of the leading experts in Uveitology, Prof Sue Lighman, at Moorfields Eye Hospital and under direct surgical training from Dr Soosan Jacob in Cataract and Glaucoma surgery, offered Dr Lula an excellent opportunity in performing and mastering the management of complex ophthalmic surgical operations including hypermature and subluxated cataracts, pseudoexfoliation, high myopia, etc.
Dr. Lula is a regular speaker at European Ophthalmology Congresses such as the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS) and has made several publications in highly influential scientific journals such as the Journal of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
• “Effectiveness of peri-operative corticosteroid therapy in severe Ulcerative Colitis-associated uveitis undergoing cataract surgery”, Presenting Author, 37th ESCRS Congress, Paris, September 2019.
• “Effectiveness of peri-operative immunosuppression in severe JIA-associated uveitis undergoing cataract surgery with IOL implantation”, Presenting Author, 36th ESCRS Congress, Vienna, September 2018.
• “Ocular manifestations of congenital syphilis in late childhood”, 1st Co-Author, 18th EURETINA Congress, Vienna, September 2018.
• “B-cell intraocular lymphoma masquerading as CMV-retinitis in a patient with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome”, 1st Co-Author, 18th EURETINA Congress, Vienna, September 2018.
• “Effectiveness of intra-vitreal dexamethasone implants in the treatment of refractory post-operative macular oedema”, Presenting Author, 17th EURETINA Congress, Barcelona, September 2017.
• “Effectiveness of intra-vitreal dexamethasone implants in long-term disease control of patients with non-infectious uveitis”, Presenting Author, 16th EURETINA Congress, Copenhagen, September 2016.
• “Ocular manifestations in Keratitis-Ichtiosis-Deafness Syndrome”, Presenting Author, Annual Congress of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Birmingham, May 2016.
• “Dexamethasone Implants and neo-vascular glaucoma in non-ischemic central retinal vein occlusion”, Presenting Author, 15th EURETINA Congress, Nice, September 2015.
• “Long-term outcome of repeat Ozurdex implantations in non-infectious uveitis”, Co-Author, Annual Congress of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Birmingham, May 2014.
• “Visual Outcome in patients with uveitis”, Co-Author, Annual Congress of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Birmingham, May 2014.
• “Dexamethasone Implants and neo-vascular glaucoma in central retinal vein occlusion”, Presenting Author, Annual Congress of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Arena & Convention Centre, Liverpool, May 2013
• Treatment with Repeat Dexamethasone Implants Results in Long-Term Disease Control in Eyes with Non-infectious Uveitis – Journal of American Academy of Ophthalmology, (2014).
• Long-Term Clinical Outcome and Causes of Vision Loss in Patients with Uveitis – Journal of American Academy of Ophthalmology, (2014)
South-East European Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology awards the “International Chapter Affiliate Travel Grant” for the ARVO Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 2018